- Designs products and systems to meet process requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles;
- Specifies system components or directs modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specification;
- Oversees installation to ensure machines and equipment are installed and functioning according to specification;
- Coordinates building fabrication, and installation of product design and operation, maintenance, and repair activities to utilize machines and equipment;
- Inspects, evaluates, and arranges field installation and recommends design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions;
- Investigates equipment failures and difficulties, diagnoses faulty operations and makes recommendation to maintenance crew;
- Alter or modifies design to obtain specified functional and operational performance;
- Conducts experiments to test and analyze existing design and equipment to obtain data on performance of product, and prepare reports;
- Assists drafter in developing structural design of product, using drafting tools or computer assisted design/drafting equipment and software;
- Tests ability of machines to perform tasks;
- Selects or design tools to meet specification, using manuals, drafting tools, computer and specialized software programs;
- Develops models of alternate processing methods to test feasibility or new applications of system components, and recommends implementation of procedures;
- Confers with establishment personnel and engineers to implement operating procedures and resolve system malfunction, and to provide technical information; and
- Plans and directs engineering personnel in fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment and develops procedures for testing products.
A five-year course leading to a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering is the minimum requirement. A graduate must also pass the licensure examination given by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC). Graduate degrees are available and may be taken for advanced jobs, and are usually required for college teaching.
- Strong numerical skills;
- Reading and oral comprehension;
- Analytical skills;
- Deductive reasoning;
- Technology design;
- Computer literate; and
- Solid understanding of key concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics and energy.
- Detail-oriented; and
- Able to work as part of a team.
Locally, the monthly basic salary of a mechanical engineer ranges from P14,500 (entry level) to P48,600 per month. In U.S., Mechanical Engineers receive an average monthly salary of $5,142.
Mechanical Engineers who have undergone apprenticeship training through different activities in a power company have the opportunity to assume a supervisory or managerial positions. Those who don’t have the inclination to be managers follow a parallel career by becoming experts or specialists in the long run.
Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines. Mechanical Engineers may be employed in the following industries : Mining and Quarrying; Manufacturing; Electricity, Gas and Water Supply; Construction; Wholesale and Retail Trade, Repair of Motor Vehicles, Motorcycles and Personal and Household Goods; Transport, Storage and Communication; and Other Community, Social and Personal Service Activities.
In a public university, a course in Mechanical Engineering is approximately P3,500 per semester or a total of P35,000 for the entire five year course. In a private institution the total cost may range between P30,000 – P40,000 per semester.